TO: MDVA Stakeholders
FROM: Larry Herke, Commissioner
Douglas Hughes, Deputy Commissioner – Veterans Healthcare
SUBJ: Resident Admission Application Process for New State Veterans Homes
DATE: June 8, 2022
Construction on the three new State Veterans Homes in Bemidji, Montevideo and Preston is continuing on schedule with expected opening dates of mid-2023.
We understand that local communities are eager to learn more about the Resident admission application process. We have recently completed our admission applications plan and are excited to announce that we will begin to accept applications as of 8 a.m. on Thursday, September 15, 2022.
There is currently no one on the waiting list; we have returned all applications submitted to date with the instructions that they need to resubmit the application on or after September 15.
We will be adding detailed Resident admissions application information to our website at MinnesotaVeteran.org/FutureHomes in the coming weeks and will also be highlighting this information at meetings with stakeholders in each community:
- June 7 – Montevideo
- June 21 – Preston
- June 30 – Bemidji
As a valued stakeholder of MDVA, we wanted to share this information with you. Here are more details.
- Timing: Resident applications will be accepted starting September 15, 2022, at 8 a.m. CT
- Key Contact: Central Office Social Services Program Manager – Madeline LaSorsa, LICSW. Madeline is responsible for managing the admission process and waiting lists for each of the new Veterans Homes. She is also a resource and point of contact for you, interested Veterans and family members. You can contact Madeline at NewHomesAdmissions@state.mn.us.
- Application Process:
- Where available? You can obtain the application form on the MDVA website at MinnesotaVeteran.org/FutureHomes (form will be added later this month). You can also request the form to be emailed or U.S. mailed by contacting NewHomesAdmissions@state.mn.us. County Veterans Service Officers may also assist applicants by accessing the form on the website.
- How to submit? Applications may be submitted via email to NewHomesAdmissions@state.mn.us or by U.S. Mail to New Homes Admissions Coordinator, 5101 Minnehaha Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55417. Please be sure to submit a full, complete application package; incomplete packages will not be placed on the list and the submitter will be notified so they have an opportunity to re-submit a complete package.
- What makes a submission complete?
- The signed and dated application form
- DD-214 copy
- Copy of Power of Attorney, Guardianship or Conservatorship, or Healthcare Directive if the future Resident is not the decision maker
- Marriage certificate copy if a spouse applies
- Applications will be dated and timestamped as received. Applicants will be contacted to confirm receipt and that they are on the wait list.
- 30 to 90 days before the first Resident is admitted, we will contact potential Residents for financial and relevant clinical information.
- Admissions occur based on MN Administrative Rule 9050 process that requires all prospective admissions to be notified in writing. We will send a letter via U.S. Mail to the potential Resident/family, and we will follow up to discuss acceptance and the potential admission date, or the desire to move to the bottom of the list.
- Veterans have first preference.
- New admissions will be staggered and gradual.
Questions? Please email NewHomesAdmissions@state.mn.us. We look forward to continuing to update you on a regular basis in the months ahead.