By Minnesota Commissioner of Veterans Affairs Larry Herke
This year more than ever, we want to extend our deepest appreciation to the caring staff at our five Minnesota Veterans Homes during National Skilled Nursing Care Week, which we are renaming Minnesota Veterans Homes Week. I invite you and your organizations to please come and help us celebrate the week of May 10 – 16, 2020.
Our dedicated staff provide the highest quality of care, earning the Minnesota Veterans Homes an excellent reputation among long-term care providers in the State of Minnesota. And through the most challenging of times – such as the current COVID-19 pandemic – our staff rise up to ensure our Veterans and their families receive the respect, care and compassion they deserve.
Because of our restricted visiting policies, we are limited in our ability to recognize the staff in more traditional formats. We invite you to join us in celebrating in a new and different way this year.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, you’ve probably seen media reports of “drive-by” birthday parties or wedding receptions. We are planning a drive-by celebration for our staff the week of May 10. We encourage you to participate with your Veterans Service Organization at one, two or all five of our Minnesota Veterans Homes locations.
Some ideas for an outdoor celebration:
- Line the street/entrance of the MN Veterans Home – while practicing social distancing during change of shift.
- Arrange a parade of vehicles with flags and signs and balloons
- Play music
- Sing songs
- Shout hooray and applaud staff as the enter and exit
- Shower the facility with thank you cards which can be posted on our Gratitude Wall
- Be creative and come up with more ideas
If you’d like to participate, please contact each Home for plan more details on dates, times and locations.
- Fergus Falls: Deanna.Mounts@state.mn.us
- Hastings: Michael.RH.Anderson@state.mn.us
- Luverne: Duane.Mabon@state.mn.us
- Minneapolis: Sandy.Larson@state.mn.us
- Silver Bay: Joyce.Scott@state.mn.us
Thank you for your consideration and we look forward to your participation.