Legionville School Safety Patrol Training Center
Legionville School Patrol Training Center Inc. was established by The Minnesota American Legion for the purpose of training Minnesota young people in correct school patrol procedures.
Legionville is a training center for school and school bus patrols. Quality instruction in the correct school safety patrol methods is provided by Safety Education Officers of the Minnesota State Patrol. Our program has been recognized by the National Safety council as one of the outstanding traffic safety promotion programs in the country.
School safety and bus patrol training is the primary focus of the camp, however other classes that campers will be attending are first aid, water-craft, and swim safety.. Many areas of recreation and athletics are also woven into the daily activities to insure an excellent experience during the week. School patrol classes are taught by a Public Relations Officer of the Minnesota State Patrol. Qualified instructors are used in the above activities.
A Brief History
Legionville is a program of the Minnesota Department of The American Legion through a non-profit educational corporation. Known as Legionville School Safety Patrol Training Center, Inc., its primary function is to train Minnesota boys and girls in the procedures of school-safety patrol work at intersections and in bus patrol work.
The idea of the School Patrol originated with Sister Carmela of the Cathedral School in Saint Paul on February 21, 1921 when the first patrolmen were stationed at the intersection of Kellogg Boulevard and Summit Avenue in Saint Paul. Adopted citywide by the City of Saint Paul in 1922 as a part of the program of the School System and the Saint Paul Police Department, it was also adopted as a statewide program by the Minnesota Highway Patrol.
Earle Brown, the first Chief of the Minnesota Highway Patrol, felt that a uniform program of training and support should be created in the State and came to the Minnesota American Legion in 1935 requesting such assistance. In 1936, under a cooperative program, The American Legion started a statewide training program held at the Crow Wing County Fairgrounds in Brainerd, with two years at Camp Ripley, using these facilities until 1956. The Training Center was staffed by members of the Minnesota Highway Patrol, qualified Legionnaires and support staff.
In 1948, the Minnesota American Legion set up a committee to raise funds to construct a permanent training center for the School Patrol and, with the funds raised, the original 560 acre site on North Long Lake was purchased. A later addition of land raised the total to 610 acres with 1500 feet of shoreline beach. The property contained some buildings, including a large barn which was converted to an all-purpose unit of classrooms, office, canteen, first aid room, a large theater and a recreational area on the second floor. A modern dining hall, seven dormitories, caretaker's house and two cabins for staff have been built creating the modern Legionville School Safety Patrol Training Center, Inc.
From the first program in 1936 of two weeks and 157 patrolmen, the enrollment has progressed to more than 1000 each season with the training center having a session capacity of 168. All sessions are now co-ed.
Each youngster, between the ages of 8-13, attends and is sponsored by an organization in his home town. The typical patroller is a student entering fourth, fifth, or sixth grade. The patrollers is selected to represent their schools at Legionville by the School Patrol Advisor of their school and local personnel. Teams of patrollers are encouraged to attend together to enhance their training and knowledge.
Legionville is a function of The American Legion, Department of Minnesota. However, the local Posts and Auxiliary Units contribute heavily to the program and handle many of the details making each year a smooth operation across the state. In addition to sending patrollers to the Training Center, many Posts and Auxiliary Units make direct contributions to Legionville for maintaining the Center and adding needed equipment. This enables the weekly fee to the Center to remain at a low level.